10 Things on Worship Leading
If you are interested in becoming a worship leader, here are some things I've discovered on my journey...so far!
- Learn to worship with your life. It's not all about the music. It's about an exchange of life.
- Learn to become a leader. You will have to lead a team of people. Read as much as you possibly can about leadership. Read, read, read. Get your hands on material and ask questions of others. The first key to becoming a leader is understanding that you DON'T have all the answers.
- Learn to get organized. Usually a difficult thing for the creative mind. But this is essential if you are going to lead a group of people and assemble worship services week in and week out. And stop being late to everything!
- Learn to keep commitments. When you say you are going to do something, do it!
- Learn to say no. Better to just say "no" up front than let people think you will fulfill a commitment.
- Learn to step up. Don't just say "no" because you're afraid to fail. Challenge yourself. Leadership demands people who will fill a gap when the going gets tough.
- Learn to find solutions. Don't point out problems without solutions. No one likes it when someone drops a bomb and walks away without sticking around to help solve the problem. When you lead people, there will be many bombs dropped in your lap, learn how to diffuse them carefully.
- Learn to take risks. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Don't make decisions based on offending a few. Also learn from your mistakes, then move on.
- Learn to review. It's never fun to hear people tell you what you did wrong. If you want to lead worship or any ministry, you will have to accept criticism. Taking things personally will not get you far in the worship leading world.
- Learn to prioritize. Your relationship with God is key to bringing genuine worship each Sunday. Your relationship with your family is also extremely important. As a worship leader, you must maintain a healthy balance with your priorities. The people you should be leading first to Christ before any others...is your family.
These are just a few of the things I've learned so far! I'm sure another list will come as I grow in my role as a worship leader. I'd love to see your leadership lists. Please share what you have learned in your ministries. Thanks!This was originally published on Ben Abu Saada's blog June 22, 2005. Used with permission.
Subscribe to Our Mailing List
Subscribe to our mailing list for exclusive deals and news! You'll receive one email a week, with an occasional two a week. You may unsubscribe at any time.