33 Years of Perspective
Yesterday I celebrated my 33rd birthday. I didn't feel any different, except for noticing a few more gray hairs on my head. But, as some of my older friends always remind me: I am thankful that I still have hair!
God put it on my heart to write a more personal post today than usual, and share my unique perspective of 33 years of my life. For some of you reading this I'm still a kid and for some of you I'm really old. I don't let my age define me, I never have.
Unfortunately, I can't share all my experiences and how those experiences have shaped me in this short post. That would literally take up a whole book. I do want to share just a few things that shape my perspective and make me who I am as a follower of Christ, husband, father, worship leader, songwriter, entrepreneur, etc.
- Using an outhouse because we didn't have a toilet.
- Sharing one room with my parents and 4 older sisters.
- Growing up in a third-world country and then moving to the U.S. when I was 9 years old.
- Having a mom that is a prayer warrior and a dad who was an atheist for most of my life.
- Being called all kinds of names, teased and mistreated because of my nationality...because I was different from everyone else in my elementary school and most in my town. (Ironic because now the majority in that city in California are asian.)
- I've experienced what it's like to have very little and what it's like to have plenty...and if you're reading this in the U.S., you probably have plenty compared to the rest of the world!
- Growing up in a Korean home, but surrounded by the American culture and always struggling with my identity.
- Seeing my parents work so hard in a country that is not their own, so they can see their 5 kids grow up and have a better life than they did.
- Growing up as a PK (aka Pastor's Kid)...my mom was a minister in pretty much every church we were at. I grew up seeing the good, the bad, and the ugly of church...unfortunately, mostly the bad and the ugly.
- For many years, spending hours and hours in the secret place (aka my bedroom) worshipping, crying out to God, dancing, feeling so alone / ashamed / depressed, and wrestling with my faith.
- All About Worship was never in my plans and I never dreamed it would be where it is today.
These are just a few of the things that shape my perspective. Every experience that we have shapes our perspective. I don't try to surround myself with people who have the same perspective as I do. In fact, I'm very intentional about doing the opposite.
At the age of 33, here are a few of the things I know:
- God loves me. He has surrounded me with people that love me and love Him.
- God loves the church and we should too.
- Most of us are spoiled and constantly bombarded with materialism.
- Worship music wars are dumb and a waste of time.
- There is one Kingdom that I need to devote my life to and it's not mine.
- Friends will come and go. Some will take advantage of you. Very few will be a lifetime friend.
- I still love music and believe it's one of the most powerful tools on earth that God uses to transform lives.
- All About Worship is a God-thing and I can't take credit for it.
- I've made myself too busy with life...usually with things that won't even matter in eternity.
- I miss spending hours in the secret place.
(photo credit: Dawn Ashley)Comment on Facebook Comment on Twitter
Subscribe to Our Mailing List
Subscribe to our mailing list for exclusive deals and news! You'll receive one email a week, with an occasional two a week. You may unsubscribe at any time.